Now in its 34th year, this International Summer Festival is a rich tapestry of classical music covering 87 different composers from 16th to the 21st Century but, within these 400 years, it embraces jazz, opera. dance and music theatre as well as some of the greatest classical music composed in this period.
What’s more guests staying at 1 Park Road, a luxury bed and breakfast in The Lake District, over the Festival dates- 28th July to the 10th August- can enjoy discount on concert tickets providing they book in advance.
What awaits you?
- Northern Chamber Orchestra open the Festival with music including Handel’s Water Music to music by Mozart including his wonderful Exsultate Jubilate sung by Ailish Tynan. (We had this at our wedding!)
Commemorating the end of World War 1 there is music from composers who were inspired by this historic event- Bartok, Bridge, Parry to name but a few. The first anti war silent film The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse is being shown to an improvised organ accompaniment- a film that made a certain Rudolph Valentino into a super star.
- National Youth String Orchestra with works by Britten. Mendelssohn and the poignant Cantus in memoriam Benjamin Britten by Arvo Part.
- There are some fascinating recitals from various piano trios, quartets, wind ensembles, piano and vocal recitals including the Navarra Quartet, Cristian Sandrin and the Mithras Piano Trio.
- In the Footsteps on Beethoven explores the scene of Beethoven walking the streets of Vienna and the music that captures that moment in time with baritone Nicholas Mogg, the Chilingirian Quartet playing early, middle and late quartets and a relay from Zurich of Fidelio
- For those interested something more eclectic, there’s Sarah Spade and the Noisy Boys mixing blues with jazz, Akrowa from Ghana exploring life in their village through drumming, dancing and singing to Simone Rebello a thrilling percussionist with what will be a great evening with a visually stunning montage of percussion instruments
Book early and enjoy some wonderful evening concerts after a days of walk.